Looking for some real Mexican fare? Look no further than La Vecina Taqueria in Newport, Rhode Island!
La Vecina Taqueria is located right in the center of Newport, in the picturesque Washington Square, and is known for their unbelievable Mexican food as well as their killer bar.
Chef Mariana Gonzalez-Trasvina always sets the table with her family’s generational recipes that will truly blow your taste buds away. La Vecina Taqueria also has tons of specials that you can take advantage of, including Margarita Mondays with half-priced pitchers, Birria & Birria Night with a $15 Birria plate and select beers on Wednesdays, and Half-priced appetizers from 4-6pm EST every Sunday through Thursday.
You can also enjoy La Vecina Taqueria from the comfort of your own home with takeout and delivery. Not to mention, if you are planning on having a party, check out their taco party packs, sides, and margaritas, which can serve 4-6 or 8-10 people, with the option to order as many packs as you need.
Check out some of my favorite dishes and drinks from La Vecina Taqueria!
THE BEST BITES
To start, order the Beef Empanadas, Tostada de Frijol, Stuffed Squash, or of course, the Nachos!
- The Beef Empanadas are crisped to perfection and filled with ground beef, topped with chimichurri sauce.
- The Tostada de Frijol is served with refried beans, crema, pickled jalapenos, panela, cabbage, as well as butternut squash.
- For a super savory appetizer, the Stuffed Squash is served with chorizo, potato, queso chihuahua, pepitas, scallions, as well as roasted tomato salsa.
- And you can never go wrong with the Nachos, served with roasted poblano and onions, mushroom, cheese, and crema, with the options to add al pastor pork, chorizo and potato, chicken tinga, or short rib.
Some of the best plates to order include the La Vecina Burrito, the Short Rib Torta, the Enchiladas Rojas, as well as the Potato & Chorizo or Baja Shrimp tacos.
- The La Vecina Burrito is every burrito lover’s dream – filled with chicken tinga, lime-cilantro rice, pinto beans, cilantro, onion, cucumber Pico de Gallo, and guacamole, smothered in green salsa cruda, crema, and cotija.
- The Short Rib Torta is served with refried beans, short rib, crema, red cabbage, pickled jalapenos, guacamole, avocado salsa Verde, as well as queso fresco bolillo bread.
- And the Enchiladas Rojas are corn filled tortillas filled with chicken tinga and cheese, salsa roja, rice, and pinto beans.
- If you are in the mood for tacos, check out the Potato & Chorizo or the Baja Shrimp tacos. The Potato & Chorizo tacos are served with salsa habanero, cilantro, and onions.
- And the Baja Shrimp tacos are served with crispy fried shrimp, avocado aioli, green cabbage, and Pico de Gallo.
For dessert, try the Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate Torte or the Tres Leches.
The Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate Torte is served with dulce de leche and whipped cream, and the Tres Leches is a vanilla sponge cake topped with cinnamon, whipped cream, and three milks.
THE SEASIDE SIPS
For cocktails, of course you cannot visit La Vecina Taqueria without some tequila! Some of the best cocktails to order include the S’more Margarita, the 86 Sancho, the Margarita del Diablo, as well as the Canela Dorada.
- The S’more Margarita is mixed with peloton mezcal, meletti cioccolato, citronage, lime, and fluff – a dessert you can drink!
- The 86 Sancho is mixed with tequila, green and red ancho, maple, lime, and cranberry.
- The Margarita del Diablo is mixed with Blanco tequila, triple sec, agave, lime, and red wine.
- And the Canela Dorada is mixed with tequila, orange and lemon juice, agave cinnamon, and grapefruit soda.
Did You Miss Last Week’s Best Bites & Seaside Sips Article? Check It Out Here: 22 Bowen’s Wine Bar & Grill, Newport, RI