We have a little over a month left of summer, and if you have not taken many (or any!) New England day trips during the summer months this year, it is not too late to start planning! There are so many gorgeous spots that are perfect for a quick day trip and have something for everyone – whether you are looking to shop, check out some restaurants, grab some drinks, or relax on the beach!
We have pulled together some of our favorite New England day trips that are a ‘must visit’ before the Fall season begins. Check them out below:
IN RHODE ISLAND…
- Newport, Rhode Island. If you have never been to Newport, this is your year! Newport is quaint, absolutely gorgeous, offers breathtaking views, and has some of the best waterfront restaurants in all of Rhode Island. Newport is known for its stunning mansions that you can schedule tours in, or view from the exterior on the beautiful cliff walk! There are several beaches that you can visit in Newport, endless amounts of shopping in cute boutiques, delicious food, and great nightlife!
- Block Island, Rhode Island. Block Island is a great remote location to head to for the day, making you feel like you are truly on vacation! In Block Island, you can visit beaches, enjoy beautiful hiking trails, try out sailing, relax with a day of fishing, and so much more! Block Island is a great place to go whether you are looking to relax or if you are looking for some new activities to enjoy this summer.
- Provincetown, Massachusetts. Provincetown never gets old! And, if you have never been, it is a must-visit this summer. Often referred to as “P-Town,” Provincetown has everything you could ever want in a destination – whether it’s a beach, museum, street of landmarks, trails, and of course, amazing restaurants and bars. Provincetown is one place where you know you will never get bored!
- Chatham, Massachusetts. Chatham is a gorgeous part of the Cape that everyone should spend time in at least once! Chatham is an extremely nice area with restaurants, shops, endless hydrangeas, and some of the most beautiful sunsets. Chatham is rich in history and is a great place to visit if you are celebrating a special event.
- Plymouth, Massachusetts. Plymouth is an awesome day trip whether you’re looking to go alone, with family and friends, a significant other, or with your kids! Plymouth has awesome museums, the historical Plymouth Rock, which is a must-see, beautiful beaches, whale watching, and so much more! Plymouth also has outstanding restaurants, whether you’re in the mood for seafood or American cuisine, Plymouth has it all!
- Bar Harbor, Maine. Bar Harbor, Maine is one of our all-time favorite areas in Maine to visit! In Bar Harbor, you get the best of both worlds, with the beauty of the small town of Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park right next door. During the days, enjoy many different trails at Acadia National Park, with breathtaking views of the water. And finish your hikes off relaxing at the stunning Sand Beach at the Park! After your hikes, you can head into Bar Harbor for a nice, waterfront dinner, to explore the endless shops, and of course, finish the day off with some ice cream! Bar Harbor is the perfect getaway!
- Ogunquit, Maine. For a really relaxing trip, check out Ogunquit, Maine, which has endless activities to do both day and night. Enjoy a nice, long walk on Marginal Way, explore shops and restaurants in Perkins Cove, or sit back and relax with your favorite book at Ogunquit or Footbridge Beach! Ogunquit is also an awesome place to book a sight-seeing cruise, known as the Nubble Lighthouse Cruise, where you can learn about lobstering and local sea life!